Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WHAT TO DO WHEN BLOGGING BECOMES A CHORE

Must be why I never chose to try writing for a living -- there are far more entries in the draft file than in published form. I keep telling myself I've got to clean up the file; also tell myself I've got to write up books and/or dvd's before returning them to the library.

Both of these objectives seem to be about as achievable as staying on a diet. So, rather than worry about writing up each individual title, I think I'll just include enough bib info to serve as a memory aid (life's too short to reread or rewatch all that much). I'll chip away at the file of drafts little by little and collapse entries into each other, or simply list the titles in batches. Sometimes I enjoy rereading items I wrote a while back; other times I blue pencil so much, there's no point left.

These resolutions lead me to ask -- what's with the tendency to overdo things? to keep setting the bar higher all the time? to elaborate beyond Baroque and into Rococo (the spelling just doesn't look write but I'll accept wikipedia's choice, I never could remember if the 2nd "c" went at the end of the 1st or 2nd syllable.) Is it hard-wired into the human brain? seems self-defeating after a while. Simplify, simplify, simplify -- well let's see how long I can manage this new discipline.

1 comment:

  1. i know what you mean. if i never had to edit, i'd have a lot more to say:)

    ReplyDelete