Friday, June 12, 2009

Musings on the Dresden Files in print and on tv

Turn Coat is the latest full-length novel in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. I just finished reading it a couple of days ago and, once again, I'm impressed. When I started reading the series back in January, it took a bit of effort to read the first few books. I kept going because of an email message on A&A List pointing out that a later novel included an unusual archives (we like to keep track of fictional archives and archivists on the list.)

At that point, I needed the lure of this archives to keep me going while waiting for the arrival of the library dvd of the SciFi Network's Dresden Files. And, I'd found out about the program only because NBC cancelled Lipstick Jungle and I wanted to see more work by Paul Blackthorne, the actor who played Shane Healy , ne'er-do-well husband of movie mogul Wendy Healy (Brooke Shields).

To make a long story short, I'd managed to read most of the books by the time the library finally reached my name. By then I had pictures in my head of what Harry Dresden looked liked, not to mention Murphy, Mister and Mouse, Bob, Harry's office, his apartment, and his favorite bar. I've the added advantage of having visited many of the actual Chicago locations Jim Butcher works into his books so I know what they look like. Needless to say, the tv series disappointed. Paul Blackthorne's a good actor but he was a different Harry. Toronto is a lovely city but it is definitely not Chicago; the lamp posts and street signs are different to begin with. Was a single adversary faced down in a major cultural attraction? And why do a show about a wizard who fights with (or cooperates with) pixies, fairies, vampires, werewolves, etc. without a special effects budget to show the same?

Back to the books, though -- as a longtime reader of mystery and science fiction book series, I know it's very tough to keep developing the characters and inventing fresh plots while still working within the constraints of the series. To borrow a line - -the entries in the Dresden Files just keep getting better all the time. So, thanks to Christine for telling me about Ivy the Archives and thanks to NBC for cancelling another tv program, but most of all, thanks to Jim Butcher for inventing and sharing Harry Dresden and his world.

No comments:

Post a Comment