Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Steampunk - a (sub) genre I didn't know had a name

Wow -- this one's been gathering dust in my draft file for so long it's becoming a fading memory but for years I've been reading books by Moorcock, Chabon and Stephenson and very much enjoying the blend of Victoriana and sf . Then I ran across this book searching the library catalog, read it and found a name for these books:

Steampunk / Ann & Jeff VanderMeer, editors ; [Neal Stephenson ... [et al.]].
Publisher San Francisco, CA : Tachyon Publications, 2008.

Michael Chabon / Neal Stephenson / James P. Blaylock / Joe R. Lansdale / Mary Gentle / Ted Chiang / Michael Moorcock / Jay Lake / Molly Brown / Stepan Chapman / Ian R. MacLeod / Rachel Pollack / Paul Di Filippo / Rick Klaw / Jess Nevins / Bill Baker
http://www.tachyonpublications.com/book/Steampunk.html?Session_ID=new

Now I've been introduced to a batch of new authors and gained new insights into Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day which I really ought to reread. Of course, I don't have enough time to read new authors and books on subjects that interest me as it is so that's a wish that'll have to be deferred.

Kudos to the editors Ann and Jeff VanderMeer for the fine selection and the history of steampunk, especially its 19th and early 20th century origins in adventure stories published in pulp magazines -- stories featuring steam-powered horses and giant mechanical men taking travellers out to the hinterlands to do great deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment